Sunday, April 18, 2010

April 13

A recap of my recent read: The Happiness Project: or why I spent a Year trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean my Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin.


I can't decide if I am ultra annoyed by this book, or if it resonated with me a little. I think the fact that I can't definitavely say that I enjoyed it, means I really didn't. If I have to question my enjoyment, I probably didn't like it that much. I've read a few happy books from time to time. One that comes to memory is The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World by Eric Weiner. I do recommend that one because if nothing else, it is a fantastic travelogue and geography eye opener, but back to the book at hand.

As someone who has struggled with clinical depression and post partum depression many times throughout my life, I guess it is a topic that peaks my interest. I used to be very hush hush about my depression, but I needed a support and a network, and now I talk very freely about it. I love my medication, but I also do my part (I'm an exercise Nazi because I get natural endorphins, and I don't expect meds to solve any of my problems - but you'll never convert me to therapy.) I think that depression is a very personal issue, and you can deal with it however it works for you. I say just do whatever works for you. I've managed to figure out what works for me thankfully and that's that, but back to the book at hand. (I keep dodging the book - I guess it really bugged me.)

This book recounted a year long happiness project that this highly educated ultra talented lady embarked on. You can check out her website here: http://www.happiness-project.com/ She didn't pick extreme things (like moving to a foreign country); instead, she tried to make little daily changes that could impact her for the better. While I like many of her ideas, most of the book reads like a gigantic bragging session to me. "O look what Gretchen can do....." All in all, while I find her admirable, and I think I'd really like her in person, and I'd ultimately love to count her as one of my friends in real life, and I'm very impressed with her accomplishments...... she left a bad aftertaste in my mouth. I couldn't help feeling like I could never measure up to her happiness standards, and instead of inspiring me, I felt like a dud of a person. I'm not sure if it was really the book that made me feel this way, or if it is just my negative nature....but that's my take on it. I do like many of her ideas. She set out twelve personal commandments for herself. (1. Be Gretchen 2. Let it go 3. Act the Way I want to feel 4. Do it now...etc...) I really like this idea and her first commandment really resonated with me. "Be Debby." Easy, simple, good advice. Instead of pretending there are things I enjoy or trying to make myself into a carbon copy clone of everyone on the block - just be me. I think I am happy when I am unabashadly Debby....but that doesn't mean just being me will make me happy. You still have to coexist with society, and since most of the activities I enjoy are solo - I have to push myself to interact with others. and try to appreciate their interests also - (This is the ultimate introvert in me talking here.) I think my main beef with this book is that I am a perfectionist and I just don't think her strategies would pan out for me. I have tried projects like this before - (you should check out some of my books of New Year's Resolutions.) In the end, endeavors like this tended to make me more unhappy because I never measured up enough in my eyes. I've found sometimes just BEING instead of STRIVING have made me personally happier. I could go on and on this topic, but I'm afraid I have a child stuck under the recliner, I better go! To happiness!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I haven't read it, but based on your description, this sounds likes the kind of thing that would just send me into a perfectionist-induced depression! I just heard a talk in Sacrament (supposedly from the March Ensign) about positive effects of practicing gratitude. I'm anxious to read it, because that sounds more like something I can sink my teeth into.