Sunday, April 11, 2010

April 5

One of the things I have loved about my kids getting older, is that I get to read bigger books with them! Yahoo!!!! This is the last book that Cade and I read together. It is called the Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brain Selznick. I absolutely adored it. A few stats on this book: 511 PAGES! (Yes that is correct.) It is 26,159 WORDS.....and it has 158 PICTURES. It looks like a massively huge Harry Potter novel. It is a much easier read, though. It is very loosely a historical fiction (with lots of liberty taken) about a French filmmaker namedGeorges Mieles and two new invented sidekicks. The book starts out with 45 pages of pictures, and then you get to the first text. The art is simple, engaging, and delightful black and white sketch art. It made me feel like I was watching an old black and white movie. I enjoyed reading this book, and it even appealed to the five year old of the house. It was such a fun read! My favorite part was the Credits in the back of the book with links to websites and books to learn more about the history and research the author did for this book. Thanks to Eric for randomly picking this book up from the library and giving us all a delightful little family read.

No comments: