Sunday, February 21, 2010

February 21

Here are the invites (totally free! even free shipping) I made for Cade's party. Cade already has every toy imaginable, so I really didn't want him to get any more, and I really want to try to teach him to share. So....instead of presents, we had a lesson. We read the letter from President Monson about giving to the people in Haiti. We looked at pictures and videos of the earthquake in Haiti, and then we asked people to donate to Haiti instead of giving birthday presents. At first Cade seemed really excited about this. I was so happy, and thought, this is easy. A few days before the party, he went to another birthday party. He came home, and then asked what presents he was going to get for his party. So....it was kind of hard from there on out. But, I'm actually glad it was somewhat of a struggle. I wanted him to learn what it was to give something that he really wanted. The day of the party, he was great about it. He made a box to put the money in, and today he was so proud when he got to give the Bishop the enevelope with all the generous donations people brought. I had a proud mama moment after church. A friend who couldn't attend his party gave him a gift. Cade asked instead if he could get money for Haiti instead of the gift. (His own idea this time!) He gave the gift back and put the money in his Haiti box. Okay, I've done my bragging for today. I was happy, and I hope this is something he will remember. It is more blessed to give than to receive.

No comments: