Sunday, January 3, 2010

Ketch-up







So, I might interject a few boring posts in between my boring YIP pics. So....yuck yuck yuck just call me Martha. I had to have a piano recital for my students. I chose December. I thought I had the library grand reserved. Apparently, someone beat me to the punch, and since I had only reserved on the phone and didn't deliver my money until that afternoon, someone else got my recital slot....so I decided to use my own little recital hall. Sometimes a very empty living room comes in very handy. Maybe we won't furnish it for a while. It has served me well for two piano recitals now. Since it was storming I really didn't want to go outside and get holiday cups and plates, so I made my own festive cups and plates from the styrofoam ones I had in the basement. (Unused cups....or so they thought.....ha ha ha! Of course, they were clean.) Cade stamped some white napkins for me, and we tied ribbons to the glasses. Hot chocolate in the crock pot and store bought cookies/doughnuts rounded out the menu. This is the craftiest I get folks. It completely drained me. I couldn't do much else...so Eric pitched in and put my programs together for me and also helped make homemade CD's of classics for my students (which I forgot to give to them after I spent half the afternoon wrapping them. Grr.) All in all, it turned out great. It is so nice to be building a studio of great students again. My 10 current students are really dedicated and I am so blessed to have found some people who really want to learn how to play music. I did have one student that didn't show. I called his house and got the...."uh.....he had a recital? response." I later told Eric about it and gleaned a funny Ericdote from this. Eric asked me if I had told the parents. I hadn't, but I had written it in his notebook for weeks! Eric pointed out that when he was 10 he knew two dates, Christmas and his birthday and beyond that.....good luck. Eric even missed a violin recital when he was 10 because he didn't tell his mom! So apparently even really cool kids forget to tell moms about important events. It all ended well for me, though. The AWOL student brought me a great apology letter and homemade cookies...mmmmm. Should I tell his mom about the next one? Tempting.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Looks like a big success! :) Congrats on the piano studio...

We missed you at our lunch a couple of weeks ago. Hope to see you soon!