Wednesday, February 27, 2008

We Survived! - from June 19, 2007

It's been a long week indeed. I very decidedly don't like having my husband out of town, indeed. He' s been back East on some work trip on a ship actually. From the sound of it - I think the curtains and beds and communal living are a far cry from the Hiltons and Marriotts he's used to staying in for travel. I'm just sooooo glad he doesn't have to be on a ship for months like other people. I'm so grateful for those who serve our country, though. I can't even imagine - the separation and the anxiety they go through. I can barely last a week without my other half. Things went MUCH better this month than the last time he left me a few weeks ago for travel. Last time I had a cyst that burst while he was gone, and I thought I was having a miscarriage, and I was still sicker than a dog....but this time we seruvived! Yeah. We only had a few minor mishaps.......I had to cancel a piano lesson in the middle because the DVD player in our bedroom broke and the Cadet had a major meltdown that couldn't be quelled. And then there was my nap. I need sleep. I just require it. Cadet does not. It's not easy having a 2 year old that goes to bed at Midnight or later and then wakes at 8 A.M. He only wants 8 hours of sleep at night. That's just how he functions....and we've kind of trained him to turn into a night owl with us....which works fine when I'm not pregnant. It's not so great right now. Lately, I've been going to bed, and the dear husband has been putting him to bed. Well, since the dear husband was gone, it was all me - and it wasn't so much fun. One day - I needed a nap and the Cadet just wouldn't take one - so I shut my door kissed him "goo-night" and turned on The Empire Strikes Back for him. Somehow, despite his incessant screams of the Darth Vader Theme, I drifited off to sleep. When I woke, he came into my bedroom with his 1st picture he drew for me. He has been drawing and coloring forever - but he's never actually done one on his own and presented it to me. It was a piece of paper and he proudly presented it to me as "The Baby in Mom's Womb. - It's for you - isn't it great mom?" I completely melted. Until I realized - it was done in a permanent marker brush script pen. I dashed out to the dining room and sure enough - there was the pen I had left out to complete Certificates for my piano students - and there was the pen marks all over my white tablecloth. I now have a permanent picture of "The Baby in Mom's Womb." I wasn't upset at all, though. How could I be? I was the one who left it out, and it was his first present to me. Later that night - my mother in law called to tell me she had talked to my son twice for 20 minutes. Puzzled I was. (Gads - Yoda is slipping into my speech - too much Star Wars). I looked in my phonebook and sure enough there were 3 calls to her and a bunch of other garbage numbers. Luckily Grandma found out that I was sleeping and was kind enough to listen to his gibberish for a while. Thank heavens! It prolonged my nap I'm sure. Other than that - we made it through the sleepless blur of this week. I found out that I love Barnes and Noble at 9 o'clock at night. People kept looking at me like I was this irresponsible lunatic mother for bringing a 2 year old into their store until 11 P.M. - but hey - it was heaven. I could read books - sip my Italian Soda - and let the little one run like made playing with their trains and chairs and books. It turned out to be a haven. It's much better than sitting at home trying to sleep and being climbed all over and losing your temper. I'm just glad its all over. Welcome Back Husband!

No comments: