Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Crabby - from April 13, 2007


One of the things that I have inherited from my inability to say no is a crab. Yes....a pet crab. I have an animal. Its hard to believe. Anyone who knows me knows that I am just not a pet person. I did have a dog growing up who was very devoted to me. He would always crawl under the piano and listen to me practice - but I would never touch the pure bred mut. I just don't like petting dogs. Granted, when he died I went into some pretty extreme mourning for a dog (my poor college roomates got so sick of the funeral march) - but I'm still not a pet person. We do have fish. It was pretty easy to select fish as a pet. Considering you can't have dogs in our condo - and you have to pay cat rent if you want a cat.....and well the good husband does everything for the fish. I just get to sit and watch them procreate.....rather....I DID get to sit and watch them until Mother Theresa our female fish was chased to death by Maxmillian. The poor lady was in high demand. RIP. I digress, though....back the the crab. Its just funny that I have a pet. I was helping a friend move and when she gave it to me I couldn't say no. Of course, since I couldn't say no - its all my responsibility. I won't touch it ever - and I've never cleaned out its tank area - I hope that's okay. All I do is pour in some water once a week and dump in some food (leftover popcorn and some prepackaged crab food). It was the middle of the night 2 nights ago, though and I realized that the poor thing was probably dying of thirst. I had forgotten to get it some water. We keep crabby in the bedroom - so at 2 A.M. his escapade to the water bowl woke me up. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a jug of water from the fridge and just poured it in the bowl and then went straight back to sleep. Yesterday our bedroom began to smell completely discusting. We couldn't figure out for the life of us what was the culprit. I just closed the door and stayed away all day. Last night we went on a hunt for the smell. We nailed it down to coming from the crab. My first thought was great - I killed it. I'm a horrible crab carer - my next thought was I am NOT going to touch it to remove it from the tank. Upon further examination, though, we looked in the water bowl and lo and behold there was the nastiest concoction of curdled MILK ever! In my sleep deprived state I had poured milk into his bowl instead of water. Way to go Idaho. So....here is just one more reason why I don't have pets. I'm just not made to facilitate their survival. I haven't seen or heard from crabby in 2 days....so it remains to be seen if he is alive or if my microbial milk killed him. Oh the poor crab. Anyone want it?

No comments: