Sunday, March 21, 2010

March 15, 2010

So I found this great website called BookSneeze. Here is the link for them: http://booksneeze.com/ You agree to write a review on your blog and also on a site like Amazon, and then they send you a book for free that you get to keep. I thought that it sounded too good to be true, but since it only asked for my name and address I tried it out. Sure enough, they sent me a book (I got to pick from 7.) I really enjoyed the book that I recevied. All the books were non fiction, but that is right down my alley. So as promised I will post my review on my blog. Then - I get to pick another one :) Hooray for free books!

With great expectations I started reading a book from the Christian Encounter Series titled John Bunyan by Kevin Belmonte. I was not disappointed with the few pleasant hours I spent perusing this book. The book summarizes the little known life of the man who penned The Pilgrim’s Progress very eloquently and succinctly. Belmonte’s tone has the ability to effectively draw the reader into Bunyan’s life. I felt as if I were sitting next to Bunyan experiencing many of the difficult things he was called to bear. Bunyan’s life on its own is very captivating, but given the lapse of time since his birth, this book could easily have been rather dry and dull. I found myself eager to move to the next page and my only disappointment was that it ended too quickly. I gained a great appreciation for Bunyan from reading this, and I was inspired to finally tackle The Pilgrim’s Progress after reading this. I felt like I gained knowledge not only about Bunyan’s inner life, but I also got a mini history lesson of his time period. Belmonte is quick to praise Bunyan and supports his praise with the impact Bunyan had on many other important figures. I can add my praise to Bunyan and this well researched and presented book from Kevin Belmonte.

No comments: