Tuesday, August 24, 2010

August 13

I have to admit - sometimes I really wonder why in the world I waste my time blogging this.  It's a log of my days, and it gives me something to look back on - but I don't put much time or effort into it, and if it weren't my own I don't think I would have any interest. I don't expect anyone to look at it, and would really be surprised if any one really did.  I'm not gonna wax all boring and philosophical here - but I am so relieved that  I finally found a good use for my blogging.  It actually came in handy.  My sister Becky has been pretty sick, and so I drove up late one night (got there at midnight) - and spent the night with her in the hospital.  It is nigh impossible to sleep at hospitals - but whenever Becky found a way to snooze I pulled out my trusty laptop and decided to blog a little.  In the middle of the night haze - I commented on the most mundane thing - my family had been frequenting the Quiznos in SLC.  I had to drive back home the next day at noon so I could play for the HMS Pinafore show.  On the way home we got a phone call.  My sister Sarah in Oregon saw on national news that there was a Hepatitis A outbreak - at a downtown SLC Quiznos shop.  Anyone who ate there one of three days was supposed to get the vaccine.  Well...lo and behold -  we had ALL eaten there on August 6th - one of the three days.  I almost religiously read the news - but in the haze of sleeplessness I never would have seen this story.   My boring blogging saved us! (That and my sick sister stuck in the hospital - and my other sister who randomly decided to check my blog and listen to the news.)  It turned out that as soon as I got home - I had to try to find someone to give me the shot.  I had two hours before my show started.  If I didn't get it that night, it wouldn't be effective.  The time crunch was on.  It turned out the boys have both had the vaccine, since it is routine now - and Eric has had it since he left the country.  That left me - the lucky winner of the vaccine prize.  I have no primary care doctor - so I had to go to an instacare.  I told them I had an hour before I had to be in SLC sitting at a piano - and they needed to go and get me my shot!  So - they complied.  They were fantastic.  They delivered it to me in my gluteus maximus.  They said I was so petite that it would hurt less - that and the fact if they put it in my arm it would be stiff and sore - not a good thing when you have to go and play the piano for a couple of hours straight.  Anyhow - crisis has been averted.  I have the shot - (I get two more doses later on) - and all is well.  I have made sure that the cast of the Pinafore knows just how much I love them - enough to take a shot for them all - in the rump.   That probably wasn't the most ladylike thing I have ever said, so please don't quote me.  I suppose I've just entered into the abyss of the blogosphere - but I should be a little more careful because apparently someone reads this sometimes and that is a good thing.....it managed to save my life....or at least give me a stiff bottom for a while..... 

No comments: