Monday, March 16, 2009

Our First Home....finally!


Above: The view from our home
Below: A few pics of the new place









So....we are finally going to become 1st time homebuyers near the 9th of April. This has probably been the most difficult decision I've ever had to make. I feel truly blessed to have such a pretty 1st home. It's not really a 'starter' home, but we have been saving for many years now. It's been kind of hard because in my heart I really want to be living somewhere else. (Portland is my dream city currently.) I want to raise my family somewhere else and most importantly ---- I need some kind of sunshine! I think I got spoiled in San Diego. I had no idea I could be converted into a sun-dweller, or even that it mattered that much to me, but it does. I really want to be somewhere where I can be outside more often, and that is really much more walker friendly. I truly love to walk places, and Utah just isn't walker friendly. The weather stinks most of the time, and it just is designed to be suburbia heaven. I miss the city!!! I miss my piano students and music opportunities, but have faith something will open up for me here too. I think if we lived in downtown SLC, I'd be just fine...but we really don't want a 40 minute commute, or the more expensive housing. Anyhow, we decided that since the economy stinks, we are going to be in Utah for at least a few more years. There really isn't a better time to buy a home (thanks $8,000 tax credit, most likely another $6,000 tax credit in Utah on new homes - and low interest rates.) So, we are moving to Syracuse. Syracuse, Utah that is. (I wish it were New York....maybe one day...but what a dumb name for a town in Utah, though. Copycats.)


We got a great deal on a brand new home in Sawgrass Meadows by Liberty Homes that has been sitting on the market for some time - it was a custom build that fell through. We love it, and it's....well....an AWESOME consolation prize for having to live somewhere I really don't want to be. I can't complain. I'm very blessed. We don't have neighbors yet, or a yard, or blinds, or a fridge...but I'm excited to see it improve and can't wait to meet new people as they build, and hopefully get some piano students! So....here are a few pics of our home. The master bedroom is my favorite. It has a fireplace and a deck with french doors that walk out to some stellar mountain views. I LOVE the unfinished basement too. I can't wait to put all the toys down there and totally declutter the bedrooms of our boys. Our 1st offer got laughed at, but we let them sit for a while and think about their interest....and came back and got in....so here we go. Off to a new home and new adventure.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Debby! Your new home is BEAUTIFUL and your mountain views are GORGEOUS! I am so happy for you guys! It is a pretty nice consolation prize, eh :) I hate to admit it, but I guess I got spoiled in San Diego too because I am definitely missing the sunshine and I really didn't think I would. The problem is that I don't think you get that amount of sunshine anywhere other than San Diego. You guys definitely need to come stay with us here in Portland sometime to "test it out." Plus, we'd love to see you guys!

puffbird said...

This is so neat! I'm so excited for you, and I can't wait to come visit and see it! :)

Valerie said...

Congratulations!!I know how you feel, I'm such a sun worshipper. We only have a few months left in San Diego, and it's going to be rough, leaving it. So funny, 'cuz I would love living in suburban Utah, but all the job opportunities for us seem to be out East right now. Your home is lovely. Enjoy!!

Ashleey Rayback said...

Congratulations! I have other friends who have moved to Syracuse. It's the hot new place. Your house looks really pretty!