Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Date Night and a Plug for The Village Green

On Saturday, Eric and I decided we had had enough. Enough cleaning and packing that is. We had been at it all day trying to get ready to move. We decided we would go out on a date. We rarely do this anymore (we should, though.) We called a baby sitter and an hour later we were off. This neighborhood has a TON of willing and able sitters. I wish we would have taken advantage of that fact more. Cade snapped a pic of us on our way out the door. He got a camera for his 4th birthday. I should post some of his work - it is not half bad. It's fun to actually get pics of Eric and I together. Cade takes a lot of them, too.
We went to a play at the Village Green in Clearfield called the Complete Works of William Shakespeare, abridged. It was hilarious! We laughed and laughed and laughed. It really covers all of his works in 90 minutes. In fact they do Hamlet 4 times. Slow, fast, faster, and backwards. I knew that I was in for a treat because I knew all 3 of the actors. I have worked with them in past shows at the VG. Eric thought they were hilarious, too. Mandie, Bryan, and Spot - you are all so great! If anyone lives nearby, they have another few shows this weekend T,F, and S at 7:30. It is well worth the 8 bucks.
I'm so glad that I found the Village Green. Cade's preschool teacher's brother partially manages it or something. In December they were frantically looking for a pianist for She Loves Me, a really fun musical. I was bored beyond belief and totally missed performing....so I said sure. I went into it thinking - okay, low budget, untalented, community musical. They surprised me by being good. (And super kids friendly!) Lots of couples with little kids were involved and totally supportive of taking care of the kids while sharing your talents. It ended up being pretty high caliber. Yeah, they don't have hardly any money yet...but they managed to garner some really quality people. Here's the link to their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=70839805231&ref=share


In January, they asked me to play for a Pirates of Penzance Sing Along. So FUN! Yeah, I knew that I would be playing for this audience interactive show. What they didn't tell me was that I would end up singing a solo TWICE! Yikes. There are reasons why I became an instrumentalist. It was painful. They had signs that the audience members could hold up at the end of songs - signs like "Double Time this Song" (good thing I LOVE to play super fast,) or "Swap Gender," or the one that got me in trouble....."Swap Charachters." Who would've thought to make the pianist and the Cop switch? I survived and had an absolute blast making some fun new musical friends.








So...here is my plug for the local business The Village Green. It is by the drive through Baskin Robbins -YUM!!! in Clearfield in the same complex as Sparetime. They are just getting started, but I think they will have success. It's hard to say though...I have never seen so many community musicals and plays in one place before, though. Utah is full of them. Only in Utah do you see billboards - yes - billboards advertising High School Musicals like Showboat. (!!!!!) It cracks me up. Silly musical nerdy people we are! At any rate, it is a fun place and I'm glad I have finally found SOMETHING to keep me performing. It has been a switch going from playing every year at Copley Symphony Hall in San Diego, to a little theatre that doesn't even have a stage....but it is a great place. I totally LOVE the people I have met doing this, too. They are soo much fun and so genuine, and still terrifically talented. I think that in a few years they will really start to see more business boom. There is a lot of potential. We have another musical coming up this summer that I get to play for - HOORAY! I'll post some more when I get some more details about it. I just got asked on Sat. night, but can't even remember the name of the show. Should be fun, though!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow It looks like lots of fun! I am sure the audience loved you, but not as much as we do. Love, Mom

Gina said...

This made me so happy! So glad you went on a fun date! So glad you're meeting fun, great people there and getting to play and perform. Happy all around.

Leslie said...

What a wonderful opportunity for you! It really sounds like you've found a great niche.