Friday, March 27, 2009

Cleaning out the Cobwebs

So in preparation for moving soon - I am cleaning. I am a cleaning fool. I hate cleaning. I am bad at it. It stinks. Okay, moving on. It feels good AFTER it is done for sure. I think I hate it because I am a sentimental-sappy-sue. I get cleaning and it brings back all these memories which brings back all these emotions, which is why I have such a hard time throwing things away. I'm getting better at it though. It helps that my kids are really rough on toys and tear them to shreds. I have no attachments to most broken bits, and neither do they.

I keep getting flashbacks though to the last week before we moved from San Diego. Permit me to spill my guts if you will. I've never REALLY moved from there. I just haven't really moved on. I kind of got stuck there. I HATE change, and I'm really bad at adjusting to it. It has been a year and a half and I still haven't moved on. I think it is time, now though.

That was a CRAZY week. They had these horrible wild fires. Of course we had no air conditioning inside (who needs it in South CA? HA - everyone -cheap-o landlords.) The smoke was awful and the air quality was soooo bad. The fires were pretty darn close, so we had to keep all our windows closed. It was hazy and smoky, and yeah, you were supposed to stay inside. This really made me miffed. I had 2 pages in my journal of everything I HAD to see and do before I left just one last time. I only got about 10 of them in that week. Several of those....were against the advisements to be outside. I was very pregnant, too. I had David 3 weeks later. Pregnant, elderly, children were especially supposed to stay inside. Phooey on that. I had to see my ocean several more times, even if it was hard to breathe by it. As we loaded the truck - we realized we didn't get a big enough truck. We had to leave stuff behind. Pack rat Debby. I still miss my old broken park bench :( I take comfort the new owners have kept it on the porch though. It was kind of a dismal time.

Eric had a creepy experience that week, too. He was in the garage cleaning and boxing stuff when he heard someone screaming. He ran out to see what was going on. Some lady had been in the hot tub and wasn't breathing. The guy didn't know how to do CPR - so someone was running and knocking on everyone's door trying to find someone who did. Eric was the 2nd person there. He did chest compressions and cleaned out her mouth vomit. Yuck. He is still haunted by it a little bit. It turns out she had been drinking and she had been down in the water for quite some time. The paramedics didn't really even try. But, still yeah...CPR and knowing what you are doing are VERY important. Here's a link to buy a kit to teach your family. This is not a certification, but is better than knowing nothing. http://saturn.igetsmart.com/servlet/loaddaemon?Type=92&Load=ahacpr&Field1=62942&Field2=0&Field3=0&Field4=0&Field5=1


Anyhow....hopefully this move will go smoother. We are about a week away from closing. So far, the only thing wrong is that I failed to get a flu shot. Naturally, I end up with the flu - the real flu - as in diagnosed with a culture at the Docs - and a really bad sinus infection to boot. Oh well, I can handle that. It still is easier than my last move.

I am officially....moving on. Hopefully emotionally this time, too - not just physically. I really don't recommend moving somewhere and not being ALL there. It kind of makes for a rough year :) I think I just had the chance to live somewhere REALLY great. I think I will always miss it and a big part of my heart will always be in San Diego with all my great memories and with all the wonderful people I met there. It is somewhat easier, most of my friends from there have also moved on now too. Things change....and thankfully there is room enough in our lives to keep growing and embracing new people and new things. You just have to be willing. I think I am finally to that point. It took me long enough! Zukes!
On the last moving day with Leslie and her daughter Ava. October 2007.

Cade says good-bye to San Diego - and moving day spent at the beach while Eric did all the grunt work. The Big Truck - not too much fun to ride in for 16 hours when you are that pregnant. Okay, okay, I actually rode in the car. Still not fun.

No comments: