Monday, April 7, 2008

Story Time




Once upon a time there was a little boy, who started insisting he be called "Prince Charming." He also started to obsess over Princessess. Now, his dear mother always wanted a little girl so that she could ooh and ahh over princessess. The dear mother is slightly surprised that instead she is finding her little boy oohing and aahhing over princessess. Said the handsome prince charming, "Princessess are so beautiful. " When asked if the dear mother was beautiful, "No - you are just mom. Mom's are just moms, not beautiful."


(2 days later, though, when the dear mother opened the blinds - a rare occasion - the handsome prince proclaimed, "Ooooh - it is so beautiful outside. There are soo many beautiful things. Just like you. You are beautiful mom." Who knew that letting some light inside could make someone so happy? I think I need to deprive my kids less of this. It will require the great sacrifice from me of getting dressed before noon, though.)


My little Prince Charming is growing up fast. It is fun to watch. He drew the above picture of Merlin. He also has started to write his name - albeit the letters come out backwards sometimes. His A's are really terrific every time, though. So - he can write his name, but he is still in diapers. :) I'm excited to end the diapers, mostly because of the complex ritual diaper changing entails. He insists on making THE SOUND. ("Ding, Beep, Dadalldalldalldalldalldall Bang." He then proceeds sorting the diapers into piles, methodically choosing the PERFECT diaper, pointing out each charachter, letter, rainbow, and shape on the diaper, and then finally laying down if you are lucky.)


At any rate - it is fun to see him change and grow so fast. He is really into stories and telling stories. I found a "Make your own Little Golden Book" at the Dollar Store here. This one perk of Utah living - a dollar store or two on every corner. I thought it would be fun to have him dictate a story to me. He is always making cool stories, up, and this was a neat way to preserve one of them. Well...when it came time to do it - he insisted that he was just going to retell "Allison Wonderland." (He always calls her Allison.) I didn't want his to be a battle, but I wanted one onf his creative stories, not a retell. I tried to convince him to tell a story about him and his brother. I was so silly. I argued with Cadet for probably 30 minutes over this. (It was a friendly discussion, really.) I should have just let it go. In the end. He agreed to tell a story about him and his dad. Of course they go to the library (via the zoo and a plethora of other places.) They check out "Allison Wonderland." He then proceeds to tell that story. I relented. Silly me trying to tell him what to write. He is a pretty good manipulator and ended up getting his way in the end. A few of my favorite lines from Cadet's story:


A curious girl was there. She was reading a book. And then, she stopped. "The question," called Alison. That's what the girl said herself. "How can I play a parsley with no pictures?" Alice said. "


I just love this kid.

3 comments:

kim said...

I can't believe that your little Cadet is old enough to be making up stories and loving princesses--I just remember the sumo baby!LOL! We have to get together before we move off to the east coast.

Jordan said...

Hey Debby! Allison also calls it Allison Wonderland. So would your prince charming like to meet a princess? We are coming to Utah on the 19th of this month...we would love to see you and your family!

Debby said...

Yay! I would love to see you! Kim - I'd love to get together with you before you start your adventure!!!-

and Jordan Prince Charming would be ecstatic to see Allison! He has actually been still asking - "When can we go to Allison's house and play again?" He was a little dissapointed when I had to tell him that we probably wouldn't make a trip to San Diego until next summer. (I really WANT to go this summer and do Disneyland, etc...but we are trying to save up for a downpayment on a home, etc. etc. etc.) We would love to see you though!