Monday, April 7, 2008

Book List

I just hosted a book club over the week-end at my home. Part of hosting, meant I had to pick the book for next month. I really struggled. Half my struggle was trying to remember the title of some of the books I had read that I really liked.....so to prevent this from happening again, I'm going to keep a list of what I've read or want to read. I'm doing it here, because it's convenient. If anyone has any "good reads" they want to recommend to me - PLEASE DO!!!! I'd love some more suggestions! Puffbird, if you read this - there was some you talked about at Christmastime that you got from your mother in law, I can't remember the names.

Anyhow - here is a list of books.

FINISHED
1. The Geography of Bliss, One grump's search for happiness, by Eric Weiner (totally funny and refreshing, kind of like a Bill Brysonesque book)
2. Children of the Mind, Orson Scott Card
3. The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, by Dr. Laura (had to know why its so talked about. Totally NOT impressed. Huey duey luey fooey gunk.)
4. They Busy Book for Preschoolers, by ?? turned it in, can't remember who it was by
5. I Am Mother byJane Clayson Johnson, great fun easy read.

READING
1. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson (been wanting to read this for forever never got to it)
2. Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood by Jim Fay and Charles Fay

WANT TO READ
1. Loud and Clear by Anna Quindlen (I think even M. Russel Ballard quoted her during conference in one of my favorite talks) side note - I love conference weekend. President Monson's testimony just gave me chills. I love laying in bed and soaking up the good words and getting spiritually refreshed. So happy today because of it! :)
2. We are Our Mother's Daughters by Cokie Roberts
3. Ladies of Liberty by Cokie Roberts (new release)
4. Passage to India by E.M. Forster
5. Reconciliation: Islam, Democracy, and the West by Benazhir Bhutto( I'm sure I just mis-spelled that)

1 comment:

puffbird said...

Wow, I'm seeing this late!! D: Sorry at the slow response!

The books my m-i-l gave me for Christmas were An Assembly Such As This, Duty and Desire, and These Three Remain by Pamela Aidan. They're essentially the events of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, told from Mr. Darcy's point of view. They were entertaining fluff... glorified "fan fic", if you will. But fun reads.

Another one that you might like, one my Mom recommended -- she lent me her copy, and when my m-i-l is done I can bring it up to you -- is called The Blue Bottle Club, by... oh, I can't remember and I don't have it in front of me, but I think the author's last name was Stokes.