Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Burnt Baby

I am an irresponsible mother sometimes. Oops. It got up to 80 degrees here yesterday! WAHOO!! It was awfully windy - but I didn't care - I had to get out of the house. So....I put the two little chickens in the double stroller and we were off for a walk to the dollar store to get popsicle sticks for our garden we were going to start for Family Home Evening. It is only a 2 mile walk to the dollar store. It only took me 40 minutes to walk uphill there - and then it only took me 20 minutes to run home. (I forgot I was supposed to be somewhere at 2 and didn't leave until 1:40.) So ---I was only in the sun for an hour. I also had the kids bundled (the wind made it still feel more like 55 degrees) and I had the canopy shade pulled over them.

Well...lo and behold we all managed to get sunburned. Poor Tink's face is kind of red. My arms, back, face, and the part in my hair are burned. Unebelievable. I used to go out for two to four hour walks in San Diego with stops in the park, and nothing would happen. This quick little walk without sunscreen did us all in. I guess I forgot to account for our 5 month winter hibernation, lack of a tan, and pasty white skin. For now - we are just enjoying our sojourn as lobsters on this earth. Later - we will be religious sunscreen applicating lobsters. It's a promise.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Don't forget the higher altitude, also. It makes a big difference.

So glad to find your blog and see you're all doing ok there in Utah, especially with the weather warming up. Spring is really wonderful.