Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Carrot Seed

One of my favorite books as a kid was The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss. My mom used to sing it to me as she read it. If you aren't familiar with it - its the story of a little boy who plants a carrot seed and everyone says it won't come up - but in the end it does. Here is a link if you want to listen to the story and music - its free. They also have lots of other classic kids stories on here, too. I love Little Black Sambo, too. Another throw back to my childhood. So here's the link: http://www.kiddierecords.com/2005/index.htm

Well....my carrot seeds didn't work. Sad. Oh well...but I was greeted with other success in my garden.






I actually grew something from my garden. I'm quite surprised, and VERY happy about this. I am such a pessimist. I didn't think anything would come up....but it did. So far we have harvested 9 very tasty heads of Romaine lettuce and 11 Radishes. We still have 2 more heads of lettuce and I think that our beets are ready now. Yippee. I think I like having a garden, if you couldn't tell.

2 comments:

puffbird said...

Radishes are both easy and satisfying to grow. :) They germinate quickly, so in a couple weeks you have something to look at. I always like growing radishes.

Isa said...

Wow. Debby, I am impressed. You are a successful gardener. I knew you had it in you. You grew them...you should be satisfied:)