Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Beautiful Day.


Stats for today: 1 funeral, 1 ER trip, 1 bloody nose, 0 servings of funeral potatoes = a beautiful day.

Today was a beautiful day....not perfect by any means but beautiful. Eric's Grandma Cannon passed away last Sunday. Today was her funeral. Even though, it was a crazy day, it just felt so good to be surrounded by family and to feel the love and the Spirit that always accompanies loss. I feel so fortunate to have known Grandma Cannon. I will really miss her visits, and her Silvermint bars :) When Eric and I started dating, one of our favorite activities was to go and visit his Grandparents. I really treasure all of the time I have had to spend with both Grandma and Grandpa Cook and Grandma Cannon in Logan. They are all such amazing people. I have really come to love and appreciate his grandparents. They are truly the kind of people you want to emulate in so many ways.
My day started around 2:30 A.M. Eric woke me up and said he needed to go to the ER. Poor Eric has been sick since last Friday. He just keeps getting worse. He has been on an antibiotic, but it still wasn't helping, and he was having trouble breathing....so off we went. A big thanks goes to my mom - who had stopped in the night before on her way to Colorado. I was able to leave my kids with her in the middle of the night. Hooray for Grandmas saving the day. Fortunately, Eric just has a super duper bad sinus infection, but it seems to be bacterial and so they were able to put him on a stronger antibiotic. I hope he gets feeling better soon! He's totally your a-typical man. He never complains, and he is nooo problem at all when he is sick. he is just mellow. But he doesn't EVER whine and he takes care of himself. (How did I get so lucky to get the perfect man???.......still can't figure it out some days.)
So - anyhow, we were at the ER from 3 until about 6. An hour later, I was getting the kids up and ready to go the funeral. Eric was in no condition to go. He was pretty sad to have to miss the funeral, and the chance to see his family. He also missed Grandpa Cannon's funeral because he was on his mission.
From the beginning to the end, even though I was miserably tired and starting to not feel well myself (I'm now a bass and losing my voice rapidly), David got a bloody nose, and my kids were insanely crazy and irrerverant and having to go to the bathroom ten zillion times during the whole service.....overall I felt so peaceful and good today. 128 ounces of diet coke got me through the 2 hours of driving I had to do on no sleep - and the love I felt just being surrounded by an incredible family, made it a beautiful day. Cade melted me on the drive home - talking about heaven, and how he wants to be there with his family. He told me he was so glad there was a heaven and that his grandmas and grandpas got to be there with Jesus. The simpilicity of his statements made me so happy. It is a great thing to have the assurance and peace that comes with our knowledge.
I don't like funerals, I don't like sickness - but I do love the happy feelings that family and togetherness brings. It was great to see Eric's family, and it was great to spend time with Eric, even if we were in the hospital bin the middle of the night. Even though today was crazy - I still loved it. Really my only complaint about the day was I didn't get any funeral potatoes. I think that is the first funeral I've been to where I got gipped :) (I think I'll survive.)
At the end of the day.....all the numbers and events really don't seem to matter anymore. What matters is being together. Yup - that is what made today a beautiful day.

No comments: