Thursday, October 9, 2008

Energizer Baby

So last week, when I was in the bathroom Tink managed to swallow a watch size battery. He was playing with a light up flash toy that you put on your arm to make sure you are visible on a bike. We got it at a safety fair. Yeah, not a very safe thing to give your baby I guess. He managed to break it open. I noticed that there were two battery slots inside, with one battery missing. I looked everywhere. I wasn't sure at first if he swallowed it - but being a battery and all - I decided to take him in. Sure enough the x-ray revealed the battery. They called down to the ER at Primary Children's, but they said that since the battery had already passed through to the stomach he should be fine. I just got to dig through his diapers for a few days until it came out. Hubby actually found it over the weekend. All is well again. I felt like a very inattentive mom. But - I have to say that it has been 3 1/2 years and two kids before either of them ever swallowed anything harmful. That's not too bad of a record.

I've been inspired by this incident. Tink is going to be the Energizer Baby for Halloween now. I'm putting some bunny earson him , giving him a drum, and he'll wear a black shirt with the picture of the battery in his tummy. Not quite as fun as Cadet's first Halloween as a Sumo-wrestler, but it will work.

2 comments:

Jordan said...

If it makes you feel better Emma swallowed a magnet....SCARY! It was actually one of those magnetic dress-up doll toys so it wasn't a very strong magnet thank goodness!

Valerie said...

Great blog title! We have been on a Robert Munsch kick around here! I guess every kid has the "swallowing a small object story." Audrey swallowed a French penny during our trip to France. I found it while changing her diaper on the plane ride home. I still have it in her baby book. Be sure to post pics of your Halloween costume! Miss you guys!!